How can we properly respond to opposing views?
5 Ways to Tolerate People with Opposing Views
- Ask questions.
- Listen to understand, not just reply.
- Be confident in the factual reasoning for your perspective.
- Accept that logic and facts don’t work for everybody.
- Avoid giving everyone your two cents in the first place.
What is the refutation in an argumentative essay?
“Refutation is the part of an essay that disproves the opposing arguments. It is always necessary in a persuasive paper to refute or answer those arguments. A good method for formulating your refutation is to put yourself in the place of your readers, imagining what their objections might be.
How do you write a classical argument essay?
Think Like a Pro
- Classical. Present the main argument, state your opinion, and do your best to convince the reader why your stance is the right one.
- Rogerian. Present the problem, acknowledge the opposing side of the argument, state your point of view, and explain why yours is the most beneficial to the reader.
Why is it important to address relevant counterclaims in a presentation?
Offering a counterclaim and giving enough evidence to disprove that counterclaim strengthens the argument by reassuring the reader that the student is well-informed and able to discern multiple perspectives.
What words are used in an argumentative essay?
Transition Words useful for Argument Writing
|To show…||Words/Expressions to Use|
|Similarity||also, in the same way, just as, likewise, similarly|
|Exception/Contrast||But, however, in spite of, on the one hand, on the other hand, nevertheless, nonetheless, notwithstanding, in contrast, on the contrary, still yet|
What is the argument in an essay?
In academic writing, an argument is usually a main idea, often called a “claim” or “thesis statement,” backed up with evidence that supports the idea. In other words, gone are the happy days of being given a “topic” about which you can write anything.
What is the purpose of this presentation?
The main purpose of a presentation is to inform. Your presentation must be well prepared in order to be able to give information to the audience properly. There are two kinds of giving information.