What are the four characteristics of Native American literature?
Terms in this set (4)
- Hero Initiation. One recurring motif in Native American literature is that of the young man who undergoes ritual initiation and eventually accomplishes a heroic act.
- Trickster. Another common motif is that of the trickster.
- Symbolic Landmarks and Mythology.
- Oral Tradition.
What are the 4 genres of literature?
The four main literary genres are poetry, fiction, nonfiction, and drama, with each varying in style, structure, subject matter, and the use of figurative language. The genre raises certain expectations in what the reader anticipates will happen within that work.
Is American literature easier than English?
American literature is mostly 19th and 20th century stuff. Easier to comprehend than British literature which goes back much further than that.
What are the 4 forms of writing?
Owlcation. Four different types of writing styles: expository, descriptive, persuasive, and narrative.
What are 3 characteristics of Native American literature?
Terms in this set (5)
- I. Hero Initiation. Comes from partially divine background;
- II. Trickster. Exist to embody Human flaw.
- III. Symbolic Landmarks. Relates human characteristics and emotions to geography and topography.
- IV. Mythology. Relates human characteristics and emotions to geography and topography.
- V. Oral Tradition.
What are the 5 major periods of American literature?
American literature is often divided into five major periods:
- The Colonial and Early National period (17th century to 1830)
- The Romantic period (1830 to 1870)
- Realism and Naturalism (1870 to 1910)
- The Modernist period (1910 to 1945)
- The Contemporary period (1945 to present)
Why is American literature important?
American literature is very important for the education of people as it reveals the culture and history of the United States. Moreover, American literature studying in other countries gives foreigners the opportunity to get to know American culture, history, and great works of the great authors better.
What genres does American literature include?
Topic Pages – Genres
- novel. In modern literary usage, a sustained work of prose fiction a volume or more in length.
- poetry. Imaginative literary form, particularly suitable for describing emotions and thoughts.
- short story.
What is the difference between American literature and world literature?
English literature forms the basis of the Western canon, so it tends to focus on heavyweights and the same set of works. World gives you a broader perspective but you need to search for works beyond the staples (for example, Central and South America has produced books in addition to 100 Years of Solitude).
What is a first draft?
A first draft, also known as a rough draft, is the very first version of a piece of writing—a rough sketch of what your finished work will be like. A first draft is written after the outline is finished and is usually done without much editing.