What 3 types of sentences should all body paragraphs have?
There are three types of sentences in each body paragraph: topic sentences, supporting sentences, and concluding sentences.
How do you write a good short answer question?
Short Answer Questions
- Word the question so that a clear, meaningful problem is presented.
- Structure the problem so that the range of acceptable responses is limited to a single correct answer or a narrow set of definite, clear-cut, and explicit answers.
- Generally, use direct questions rather than incomplete sentences.
What are some examples of complex sentences?
Common Complex Sentence Examples
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
How do you combine simple sentences into complex sentences?
How to join two or more simple sentences into a single complex sentence
- By using a noun clause. A noun clause does the work of a noun. It can act as the subject or the object of the verb in the principal clause.
- By using an adjective clause.
- By using an adverb clause.
What are the words used to connect sentences?
Words which connect words, phrases, clauses or sentences are called conjunctions (see “to conjoin” = join, unite). The most common ones are ‘and’, ‘or’ and ‘but’. These words all have different nuances and connotations but they all help to build up meaningful relationships within a sentence.
Which is a good reason for combining sentences?
Combining sentences encourages a writer to take two or more short, choppy sentences and combine them into one effective sentence. By learning this skill, students enhance their writing style.
How do you make complex sentences?
A complex sentence is formed by adding one or more subordinate (dependent) clauses to the main (independent) clause using conjunctions and/or relative pronouns. A clause is a simple sentence. Simple sentences contain only one clause (verb group). Complex sentences contain more than one clause (verb group).
How do you respond to a short answer?
Begin each answer with one or two sentence thesis which summarizes your answer. If possible, phrase the statement so that it rephrases the question’s essential terms into a statement (which therefore directly answers the essay question). 7. Support your thesis with specific references to the material you have studied.
How do I make one sentence into two?
You have four options for combining two complete sentences: comma and a conjunction (“and,” “but,” “or,” “for,” or “yet”) semicolon and a transitional adverb, like “therefore,” “moreover,” or “thus” semicolon (;)
How do you join two simple sentences?
Joining two simple sentences into another simple sentence
- Sentence synthesis means combining two or more simple sentences into one new sentence.
- By using infinitives.
- We can combine these two sentences into one using a to-infinitive.
- By using a noun or phrase in apposition.
- By using a participle.
- We can combine two simple sentences into one by using a present or past participle.
What is a good sentence for compound?
Compound sentence example. I’m not sure we didn’t compound problems. Blinded by emotion, he made his way out of the underground compound without knowing where he went. A chill descended over the desert compound as the sun set.
How do you join complex sentences?
A complex sentence consists of one independent clause and one or more subordinate clauses. You can combine two simple sentences into one complex sentence by changing one of the simple sentences into a subordinate clause.
What is voice change in English grammar?
Voice is the term used to describe whether a verb is active or passive. When the subject of the verb is being acted upon (e.g., “The postman was bitten.”), the verb is said to be in the passive voice. So, the voice of a verb tells us whether the subject is acting or being acted upon.